Attorneys from high profile cases join Theesfeld’s defense

Posted on Jul 25 2019 - 11:52am by Kenneth Niemeyer

Brandon Theesfeld has retained duo Steve and Anthony Farese as attorneys in his case. Theesfeld was arrested Monday and charged with the murder of UM student Ally Kostial.

The Farese, Farese & Farese Attorneys At Law website says that they are selective in which violent criminal cases they take.

“We do not take cases unless we are reasonably certain we can get results for our clients,” the website reads. “We are honest with you about the results you can expect from legal action.”

Sheriff’s Major Alan Wilburn told reporters yesterday that there is no scheduled bond hearing for Theesfeld, and a hearing will not be scheduled until it’s requested by Theesfeld’s lawyers. Anthony Farese confirmed this morning that Theesfeld plans to enter a not guilty plea.

Anthony Farese is also representing Liam Little, a UM student and native of Ontario, Canada, who was charged with manufacturing false identifications in April. 

Anthony Farese filed a motion for discovery in Little’s case on June 26 which asked the state to provide, among other things, the names and addresses of all witnesses, any reports or statements written with the case and to allow the defendant to “inspect and copy any and all affidavits, search warrants or arrest warrants issued in (the) case.”

On July 1, an order of continuance was filed in Little’s case. An order of continuance allows both parties more time to prepare before going to trial. 

Theesfeld and Little are no longer listed in the UM student directory. A university spokesperson announced on Tuesday that Theesfeld was suspended from the university.

Anthony and Steve Farese also represented Mary Winkler pro bono in her 2006 murder case, which was eventually dropped to manslaughter. Winkler shot and killed her husband, Matthew Winkler, a minister at Fourth Street Church of Christ in Selmer, Tennessee.

Winkler was convicted of voluntary manslaughter and sentenced to 210 days in prison. She already had credit for serving five months and was permitted to spend the remaining 60 days in a mental health facility in Tennessee.